Friday, June 10, 2022

6/9 Danby Beacon

 Danby is about 5 miles as the crow flies from the North Sea.  That means that over the centuries, it has been in danger from invaders, so for the past 400 years and possibly as far back as the Romans, there has been a beacon on the tallest hill near Danby.  Residents were supposed to keep an eye out and react when they saw a fire there.

The first beacons would have just been large bonfires, but there were also beacons in this location during WWI and WWII.  Those beacons fell apart and a new beacon was designed and erected in 2008.  See this article about the history of the current beacon:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/content/articles/2008/12/15/danby_beacon_feature.shtml

The beacon is located only about a mile from the North Yorkshire Moors Visitor Center, but as they say, on a clear day here, you can see forever. 


One of the views from the hill where the beacon is located. 


When I first took these photos, the reddish thing in the middle looked a lot like a ship on the North Sea, but I just could not tell for sure until I got back to my cottage and enlarged it.  And, indeed, it is a ship!!


I have a 360 degree video I took, but I am having trouble viewing it, so check back here in a couple of days to see if I have been successful. 

According to my Fitbit, I took 3,294 steps and walked 1.4 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment