Friday, June 24, 2022

6/23 City of York, North Yorkshire, England

Today was a long driving day, but it was mostly freeway, with some sections of two-lane very busy highway.  A few days ago, I had noticed a very narrow, but tall truck, and wondered what it would be like to drive in the wind.  At the time, I was not sure of the height, but thought maybe 14-16'.  It is hard to judge when you do not know the width of a roadway lane, but they are narrower than ours in the US.

 

However, today, I was able to catch one passing a regular truck, and am guessing that my original estimate was about right. 


Because I was mostly on major roadways, I got to York by about 3:30 pm, so I decided to head to the City of York and do some exploring.  I am really glad I did that because I discovered some things I had not had time to see when I was there when I picked up my car in early June.  

One thing I discovered was a shortcut from the Marygate Car Park to the main shopping area.  It was through the art museum gardens, and it was really a pleasant place on this warm day. 


There are lots of Roman ruins or at least very old ruins in this town.  I think this was an old church.

This is the main shopping area, and it was rush hour.


I also took some photos of buildings that showed a varied architecture over the centuries. 

On the way back to the car park, I saw on my map that there was a path along the river which was another shortcut.  Here are more ancient ruins and the sidewalk down to the river.

 
I was surprised to see a very pleasant river walk and a local rowing team.  


Some canal boats are parked here.  I am not sure if they are here as permanent homes or are staying here briefly as travelers enjoy the rivers and canals of the areas. 


 
There are so many houses like this in towns throughout England.  If you look at the brickwork, you can tell what was original and what has been changed or what was added to the original. 

Headed to the hotel and had a good meal.  Need to get up early tomorrow to drop off car and catch my train to London.  

Did not measure my walking today, but I am guessing I walked about a mile and a half in York.

No comments:

Post a Comment