Monday, June 6, 2022

6/6 A Couple of Quiet Days Here in Danby

Yesterday, I actually took the day off from my vacation!  It was cold and rainy all day, so I decided to rest my sore knee that I bruised last week.  Also, just needed a day to rest my sore muscles from all the walking I did.  So, yesterday was spent reading a couple of new books on the history of this area and watching all-day TV on the Queen's Jubilee celebration.  

This morning, the rain had stopped, and while the high was still not expected to get over 52 F, I headed out to get a lunch from the local bakery.  Had a very good quiche, but brought it back to cottage to warm it up.  

Then put on long pants, short-sleeved shirt, and thin zipup jacket under my raincoat.  It was cold and windy and I even had both hoods pulled up around my head, but after going to the church graveyard and taking photos for a while, I really, really got cold.  Problem was that grass was mown in only a few areas, and even in those areas, was fairly long, so my pant legs got wet as did my only pair of shoes that I brought--sandals.  

I did find some gravestones I wanted to photograph, and I met a young couple who were also looking for ancestors.  After briefly comparing notes, we decided that the husband and I must be distant cousins because we were looking for at least a couple of the same names! I gave them my personal email address and hope they will contact me so we can compare notes.  

So, after a couple of hours of slogging through wet grass and the wind picking up, i headed back to cottage to warm up.  I then headed to the nearby town of Gisborough to see if I could find a warmer jacket and to pick up a couple of items I needed.  That town has a priory I also wanted to see, but it was closed until Wednesday.  The priory was founded by the family of Robert the Bruce, aka Braveheart, from the movie by the same name!  I will try again maybe on Thursday or Friday as I leave here for Scotland.  

So, I have no photos to show for today, but I will be heading to the seaside tomorrow, so I will post some in the evening then.  It is supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow--a whopping 59 degrees instead of the damp high of 52 today.  Might find a souvenir shop along the coast and pick up a sweatshirt as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment