Thursday, June 2, 2022

6/2 Rest Day in Thirsk

I decided to take it easy today and rest my knee.  I was aching all over yesterday from so much walking and from my fall, plus my rental car had a flat tire, which I needed to deal with.  Additionally, I could not get reservations today or tomorrow to visit the Viking museum in York because today and tomorrow are national holidays, so schools are all closed and families are out on vacation.  

Tomorrow, I will visit the James Herriot museum here in Thirsk in the morning, and then stop at the Tesco superstore to pick up groceries for my week's stay in the cottage in Danby.  It will be nice to be able to fix myself some iced tea for a change.  

I brought my regular cell phone with me, but added a $100 per month prorated, plan where people could call me from the U.S. just as they would to a regular U.S. phone, but where I could send and receive a lot of text messages and access data while i was here.  I did that because I needed to be available in case my aunt in memory care has a medical problem I need to handle.

However, as a backup and to give me more data to use for navigating and finding places, I had a U.K Sim card put in my old iPhone 5.  I used to do this when I traveled to the U.K. through a company called Carphone Warehouse, but it has been bought by a company called Curry, which is much larger and more impersonal.  They no longer carry pay-as-you-sim cards, so sent me to Sainsbury's, which is grocery store, but did sell Sim cards.  (Switching out your Sim card is cheap and an easy way to get data to use here and to make local calls without them being routed through the U.S.)

Unfortunately, they could not help me put it in my phone or set it up, so it took me a few days to get it working.  It took me even longer to figure out my U.K. phone number!!  So if you want to call me, my number is 07468 122793, but you will need to add the international code of 011 and then 44 before you dial the rest of the number, and it will cost you the international rate!  At least, I think that is the process.

The road service person came and found a small hole in my tire, probably from a nail or screw, and he was able to repair the hole right in the parking lot and add air to that tire, as well as check the air in all the other tires.  I was worried I would have to pay for it, but Enterprise paid.  If I had ruined the tire by driving on it, I would have had to pay for it, or at least my credit card would have had to pay for it. 

The rest and sleeping in this morning has really helped me knee and aching muscles, and it gave me a chance to watch the Trooping of the Colors this morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment