Wednesday, June 8, 2022

6/7 Seaside Whitby & Saltburn-by-the-Sea, North Yorkshire

I decided to spend this partly sunny day driving to and around the seashore that is only a few miles from here.  The biggest seaside town nearby is Whitby, which has a large harbor and lots of stores, as well as a ruined abbey from way-back-when.  I had visited the abbey in 2018, so I skipped it this time.  

Nice drive through the Moors, as every drive is around here.  Parked in the car park across from the Coop Food store.  (I went there later to pick up a couple of grocery items.) 

Nice view of the harbor, and a quick walk to shops and restaurants. 


I did a lot of looking for a place to grab a quick lunch, but every place was either very busy or did not look like what I wanted.  Interesting walk,  however.

I liked this explanation of how the sailors wives knitted them warm wool sweaters. 

But what was really interesting was the art that accompanied the explanation. 

I walked uphill to the local historical museum with great difficulty.  My knee is getting better, but my muscles are just generally sore from all the walking I have been doing in the last couple of weeks. 

It was a little disappointing because it was really a mishmash of stuff people from the area had donated--everything from wedding gowns from the 1800s, a bunch of fossils, and a room full of ship models. 

Headed back down the hill, picked up my handful of grocery items and headed north along the North Sea to the town on Saltburn-on-the-Sea.  This town was recommended to me at the Whitby visitor center because most of the other seaside towns in the areas were built on cliffs and had their car parks on the tops of the cliffs, with a long walk downhill to the beach. 

Typical car park with small cars parked very close to one another.  I probably could have moved a bit to the right, but when I parked, there was a closer car on that side.  Don't know how the people in the car to my left got out of their car, but they did. 

 

It was cold and windy, so even though the sun had come out, there are very few people along the beach.  Most that were there were walking dogs, but a couple were trying to ride the surf.  


Walked out on the long pier--only one fisherman, and he did not look like he was catching anything.

I could not tell for sure, but this is a telephoto picture of the base of the high cliff south of here and shown in a previous photo.  There are some houses or small hotels way up on the top, and it looks like there is a set of stairs to the left and some sort of tiny railroad to the right.  Don't think I would want to take either route down.

This photo looks directly down the pier towards the houses at the top of the bluff. I don't know if these are permanent homes or vacation rentals, but the tram shown was not working.  Too cold for a lot of visitors. 

Nice view looking north along the incredibly wide beach. 

I tried to get a nice dinner in the only restaurant open, but it had a sign on the door that the dining room was completely booked, so I did what most everyone else was doing--buying takeout fish and chips and eating it in their cars!  I skipped the chips, as the piece of fish was very large! Could have used a better fork, at least. 


I forgot my Fitbit today, but I am guessing I walked about three miles today.  Laid it out so I don't forget it tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment